The value of a bike review
Simply this – a recent survey in a bike store in the UK, of bicycle sales and published at velocentric.com found the following (from 200 samples conducted April 2011 to May 2011). Sales were based on:
- Impulse Purchase – 2 (1%)
- Other – 9 (4.5%)
- A brand I know or trust or direct replacement – 15 (7.5%)
- Staff recommendation – 37 (18.5%)
- Magazine or website ‘pro’ review – 43 (21.5%)
- Word of mouth, advice from family and friends – 94 (47%)
Now I reckon that bike reviews in Sweat and Gears are not ‘pro’, but they are a form of “Word of Mouth”. The marketing speak will be kept to a minimum and comments made are from reviewer experiences, not copywriters.
If you or someone you know has a 2011, 2012 bike, organise a review.